How to Submit Damaged Money for Reimbursement

Thứ bảy - 27/04/2024 01:08
Properly submitting torn or damaged bills so you get the full amount backMoney might not grow on trees, but, luckily, it can be replaced in the off chance it gets damaged. Even if you have a dollar bill completely torn in half, don't...
Table of contents

Money might not grow on trees, but, luckily, it can be replaced in the off chance it gets damaged. Even if you have a dollar bill completely torn in half, don’t worry! This article will walk you through the process of filing a request to get your damaged currency replaced so you don’t have to suffer the loss of any hard-earned cash.

Things You Should Know

  • Take your money to be replaced at your local bank if damages are not too extensive (minor tears, stains, soilage, etc.)
  • Send any bills that have been extremely mutilated (burns, chemical stains, extreme tears, etc.) to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing along with a letter explaining the damage.
  • Submit damaged coins to the U.S. Mint for possible reimbursement.
  • Deliver your damaged money either in-person or send it in through the U.S. Postal Service.
Part 1
Part 1 of 3:

Checking if Your Money Qualifies for Replacement

  1. Step 1 Assess the damage.
    If your money has suffered minor damage (minor tears, stains, soilage, etc.) but is still legible and usable, go ahead and use that currency as is. If it’s damaged but not mutilated, but you don’t want to use that currency for some reason, you’re qualified to exchange that money at your local bank. Keep in mind that each bank will have its own policies regarding what kinds of damaged currency they can accept, and they might refer you to a higher institution instead.[1]
    • You can exchange damaged currency at any bank. If you want the money directly deposited into your bank account, go to the nearest branch of the bank you’ve opened an account with.
    • Mutilated currency is defined as having been damaged to the extent that one half or less of the currency remains, or it’s in such a condition that its value is questionable.[2]
    • Money that has been mutilated or extensively damaged beyond repair or use should be submitted to the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) or the U.S. Mint.
    • Do not falsify your claim or intentionally damage currency. Both are federal crimes that are taken very seriously by the U.S. government.[3]
  2. Step 2 Measure what’s left of your paper note.
    In the United States, you must submit more than half (over 50 percent) of the paper bill intact. This is in part to prevent people from ripping money in half and replacing both halves to get double the money. The only exception to this requirement is if less than 50 percent of the bill is intact, but there’s sufficient supporting evidence (such as burn marks) that the remainder of the bill has been destroyed.[4]
    • In addition to submitting the sufficient remains of a legible banknote, you must provide some remnant of the bill's security features.
    • Security features may include the security ribbon woven into the bill, the security thread that runs vertically to the left of the portrait, watermarks, or color-shifting ink.[5]
    • The banknote's value (5, 10, 20, 100, etc.) must be identifiable so that the treasury can determine how much money to reimburse you for if your claim goes through.
  3. Step 3 Evaluate any coins you have for extensive damage.
    Unlike paper banknotes, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing does not replace damaged coins. Coins that are severely damaged, such as coins that have been melted or fused together, can be sent to the U.S. Mint for evaluation. The U.S. Mint will then determine the best course of action.[6]
  4. Advertisement
Part 2
Part 2 of 3:

Packaging Damaged Currency

  1. Step 1 Preserve the money to the best of your ability.
    Even though the money has been damaged, it may become even more damaged if handled carelessly. How you handle the money as you prepare to pack and ship it may help preserve it, ensuring that you get the equivalent amount of money back.[7]
    • If the currency was rolled up when it was mutilated, do not attempt to straighten it out. If it was flat, don’t roll, fold, tape, or glue it together somehow.
    • Altering the money in any way could further damage the currency, and may be seen as an attempt to alter or deface the money, which is against the law.[8]
  2. Step 2 Package currency carefully to prevent further damage.
    How you package the currency may be the difference between getting money back and suffering financial losses. Package the currency in a way that will prevent any further damage and ensure a safe delivery.[9]
    • If the currency is brittle or may fall apart, pack the tattered money in a plastic sandwich bag with cotton to help insulate it and keep it in place.
    • Do not ship coins and paper currency together. The two forms of currency must be sent to separate offices, and packing coins with damaged paper money could cause further damage to the tattered banknote.
  3. Step 3 Compose a letter to explain the damage.
    Once you've carefully packed and preserved the damaged currency, write a letter to include with your money. Make the letter as legible as possible. Typing and printing it is the safest route to go. The letter should include:[10]
    • The original value of the currency
    • Your name and current contact information (phone number and/or email)
    • A thorough explanation of how the money became damaged
    • Your current bank account and routing number (the bank must operate within the United States)
    • Your current mailing address and any relevant instructions in the case you want the money to come as a mailed check
  4. Advertisement
Part 3
Part 3 of 3:

Submitting Your Currency & Receiving Payment

  1. Step 1 Deliver currency in person to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
    If you live in or near Washington, D.C., you can hand-deliver the damaged currency to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The Bureau accepts personal deliveries of damaged or mutilated currency between 8:00 am and 11:30 am and from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm.[11]
  2. Step 2 Mail your currency.
    If you don’t live in Washington, D.C. or can’t deliver the money in person for whatever reason, send the currency by mail through the US Postal Service. Pack up the damaged currency and your accompanying letter and send them through Registered Mail. Request a return receipt as well. Consider also purchasing insurance on the package to ensure that any losses are covered if the package becomes lost or damaged.[12]
    • If you’re submitting your cash via personal delivery, address it to the US Bureau of Engraving & Printing, MCD/OFM Room 344A, P.O. Box 37048, Washington, DC 20013.
    • If you’re using a courier to send it in (FedEx/UPS), send it to the BEP at MCD/OFM, Room 344A, 14th and C Streets SW, Washington, DC 20228
    • Damaged coins can be sent for evaluation to the U.S. Mint. Packages containing mutilated coins should be addressed to the Superintendent of the U.S. Mint, Attn.: Mutilated Coins, P.O. Box 400 - Philadelphia, PA 19105.[13]
  3. Step 3 Wait for your claim to be processed.
    Once you've submitted your damaged currency to the proper office, you'll have to wait for the claim to be processed. Each case is reviewed by a qualified professional to determine the extent of the damage, confirm the banknote's value, and assess the validity of each claim.[14]
    • Claims can take anywhere from 6 to 36 months to process. The evaluation process depends heavily on the condition of the money, the extent of damage, and the conditions under which it was damaged.
    • The Director of the BEP makes the final decision on all damaged currency claims.
    • To check the status of your claim at any time, you can call the BEP toll-free at (866)-575-2361, or email the office at
  4. Advertisement


  • Intentionally mutilating currency is a federal crime. Falsifying a claim for reimbursement of damaged currency is also a federal crime..
    Helpful 0 Not Helpful 4
  • The Superintendent of the United States Mint and the Director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing have the final say in regards to the settlement of damaged currency. Appeals are not allowed.
    Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0
  • Damaged currency that is confirmed to have been involved in a crime will not be replaced and may initiate an investigation into the matter.
    Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0

Total notes of this article: 0 in 0 rating

Click on stars to rate this article